History of the department
On January 15, 1938 at the S.M.Kirov Kazakh State University the “Department of Plant Physiology and Microbiology" was being launched. From 1947 until 1999, it was called “Department of Plant Physiology and Biochemistry”. In 1972, “Department of Microbiology” was separated from this department. In 2011 because of the fusion of “Department of Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Plant Physiology” and “Microbiology” the new “Department of Biotechnology” was established.
Nowadays the Department of Biotechnology at the al-Farabi KazNU is the first and so far the only department in Kazakhstan where research is successfully developing, and specialists in the fields of biochemistry, microbiology, biotechnology of microorganisms, plants and animals, environmental biotechnology, bioinformatics and ecosystem modeling are trained.
Currently, the staff of the department employs 12 Professors, 16 Associate Professors and 6 PhD. They are actively conducting scientific work in the following areas:
1. Bioenergetics and biotechnology of phototrophic microorganisms
2. Ecological biotechnology, biochemistry, plant physiology
3. Bioinformatics, genomics, proteomics
4. Efferent properties of corbanized sorbents
5. Algology, BAS based on microalgae
6. Food Biotechnology
7. Physiology of soil microorganisms, bioremediation of contaminated soils
8. Probiotic biotechnology.