Delegation from University of Manchester in KazNU
University of Manchester delegation visited Al-Farabi Kazakh National University. In the frames of visit they met with First Vice-Rector of Al-Farabi KazNU Mukhambetkali Burkitbaev and representatives of Faculty of Geography and Environmental Sciences, Chemistry and Chemical Technology and Faculty of Physics.
The meeting was attended by Representatives, Professor Stefan Flint Vice-President for Internalization of Manchester University, the business development manager of the Directorate of Research and Business at the University of Manchester, Dr. Shanta Afale, a researcher at the School of Computer Science Anne Gladson, Professor of Sustainable Energy Systems Patricia Tornley (Tyndall Center for Climate Change Research) and Dave Carter, Managing Director of Manchester Digital Lab. During the meeting, opportunities of further cooperation between our organizations, not only in the scientific but also in the educational sphere were discussed. The meeting was devoted to the expansion of cooperation between two universities in the field of education and science. The parties shared the information related to the peculiarities of educational system in both countries.
Colleagues from the University of Manchester were interested in the "Green Bridge through Generations "project, in the development of a sustainable city idea, "Al-Farabi university smart city" project, urban development and planning by using modern GIS technologies and remote sensing.
Based on the meeting results there were identified following areas of cooperation:
• Cooperation in the field of education - organization of summer / winter schools, academic mobility in the direction of "geoinformatics", "cartography", "meteorology" and "ecology".
• Preparation of scientific projects for the Newton–Al-Farabi and Global Changing Fund (covering all global issues) programs.
• Smart City and sustainable urban development.
• Increasing resilience to climate change - low-carbon development - sustainable energy systems.
• Supervising scientific research works of doctoral students.